The Solemnity of the Annunciation is the day we celebrate the angel Gabriel coming to Mary to tell her that she will be the mother of Jesus. It is always nine months ahead of Christmas, on March 25th. Though it is not a Holy Day of Obligation, there are so many wonderful ways to celebrate this special day!
1. Eat Waffles! It is a tradition in Sweeden to eat waffles on this day, owing to the fact that "Vaffelsdagen" (Waffle Day) and "Varfrudagen" (Lady Day) sound so similar. (Source).
2. Enjoy a Mary ParFIAT. Enjoy a blueberry yogurt parfait for breakfast or a snack and make sure that your children understand what the colors of the various elements mean.
Coloring & Crafts
3. Print and color - probably the easiest way to celebrate this special day!
Family Feast and Feria - 4 different coloring pages
St. Anne's Helper
4. Create a Marian triptych.
5. Pray the Joyful Mysteries
6. Pray the Angelus.
7. There is nothing I love more than a good Mary song! Sing some of your favorite Marian Hymns in honor of our Blessed Mother. My favorites are Sing of Mary, Hail Mary - Gentle Woman, and Holy is His Name.
8. There are so many beautiful paintings and works of art that showcase this amazing moment in Jesus' life. Some of my favorites are listed below. Find your favorite piece and discuss it with your children.
The Annunciation by Maurice Denis
Annunciation by J. Kirk Richards
The Annunciation by Frederic James Shields
For more great ideas, check out these awesome posts:
12 Simple Ways to Celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation
Spiritual Adoption of the Unborn
Celebrating the Feast of the Annunciation
8 Activities for the Feast of the Annunciation
Kids Don't Forget a Thing Like Waffles for Dinner
Feast of the Annunciation
On the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord
Thanks for reading!