Monday, March 3, 2014

Fasting From Social Media for Lent

Hi, my name is Andrea and I am a Social Media addict. I Facebook the second I wake up and spend my free moments Pinning in between lessons with the kids.

It is not a good habit to have.  I don't want to be the kind of mom constantly looking down at my phone instead of enjoying the precious moments with my children.  At the same time, there are benefits to both Facebook and Pinterest for me.

I know there are a lot of circles that look at Facebook as a bad thing.  They claim it fosters artificial relationships, and in some cases, I'm sure this is true.  In my case, my best friends and I talk on an almost daily basis through Facebook messaging; often lifting my mood and giving me the pep to get through a difficult day.  I also get to keep up with long distance family members who I don't get to see regularly otherwise.  Through the many homeschool groups I participate in on Facebook I receive support, encouragement, and advice.  All this is my way of saying, I feel it would be more of a hindrance than a help to my vocation as a homeschooling mom to stay off of Facebook entirely for Lent.  Pinterest as well, is extremely helpful at times.  I pin items for the parents of the science co-op class I teach as well as items for my own children.  I also store all my most used recipes on Pinterest for easy access.  Pinterest is a useful tool in many ways.

I do beleive, however, that limiting my time on both WOULD be helpful.  It would DEFINITELY be a sacrifice for me to stay off of Facebook for the majority of the day.  When I ran across Sacrificing Social Media on Catholic Mom, I knew I had to participate.

Sacrificing Social Media” is a multimedia campaign that specifically excludes some or all use of social media during Lent and instead encourages the enrichment of personal relationships – the knowledge of self, the gift of charity to neighbors and strangers, and the increased love of our families and God. - Catholic Mom.com

So my goal for this campaign is to keep myself off Facebook and Pinterest (I am thankfully not on Twitter anymore!!!) for the majority of the day/evening.  My only "allowed" time is:

1) In the morning only AFTER my personal prayer time and BEFORE the kids wake up.

2) In the evening only AFTER the kids have gone to bed and BEFORE 9:30pm.  (I don't want to sabotage my morning prayer time!)  And also only if my husband is otherwise occupied - I don't want to sacrifice our relationship time either!

3) Pinterest for reference only during the day if there is a TRUE need to find something for a lesson or recipe.

As you can see, that is NOT a lot of time.  I am hoping to truly focus on my children and my faith during this time of preparation.  Thanks for reading!

I'm Linking Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment