Monday, January 20, 2014

Science- Organizing Things Into Categories


We started our wonderful new Science Curriculum last week and really enjoy it so far. The first chapter was all about organizing things into categories (a major concept for later scientific processes). To close up the chapter I played a little memory game with the kids.

Classification Memory Game
I put out 20 objects on a tray and they had 60 seconds to try to memorize as many items as they could. Luckily my husband was home so he could help me write it all down afterwards!  Then, I asked them to try again, this time organizing things into categories in their heads to see if that would help them remember. Rafael had no change but Michaela did much better the 2nd time!

Sorting
Then I had them show me the categories they had divided things into. It was really interesting to see the differences in the way they did so. Michaela kept it simple - organizing things into Straight, Round, and Other. Rafael actually organized based on their uses - Church Things, School Things, Healthy Things (toothpaste, medicine syringe), Helpful Things (flashlight, cabinet handle), and Toys. 

I'm looking forward to continuing the lessons in this book!  Thanks for reading!

I'm Linking Up!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great science activity. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete