Saturday, July 11, 2015

Green Chile Chicken Cheddar Soup

It's been raining all week now that we are solidly in our area's monsoon season. One particularly rainy day, I had a craving (or as my mom always called it, a "granito") for some warm comfort food. For me, comfort food is what I grew up with - New Mexican cuisine. I started to make some green chile chicken enchiladas and realized that I didn't have time.  Instead of layering my sauce in a casserole to make that delicious dish, I adapted it a bit for a yummy soup that was done in half the time.  The result was a creamy delicious dinner that the whole family enjoyed. If your littles are chile wimps like mine, leave the chile out and add a bit individually to the grown up bowls.


Ingredients
3-4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, boiled and shredded
4T butter
4T flour
4c milk
1c shredded cheddar
Green chile, roasted, peeled, and chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a saucepan, heat butter until melted and add flour to make a roux. Simmer until light brown and slowly whisk in milk. Simmer on low and continue to whisk until creamy and thick. Add cheese and whisk until incorporated.  Stir in chicken, green chile, and salt and pepper. Let cool a bit before serving. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment