Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow Sweets


We don't get a lot of snow here in the desert southwest, so when we do, the kids get pretty excited. Not me. Snow beat me up once when I was a teenager in the form of a tobogganing accident and I have never been able to forgive it. Plus it keeps me from wearing flip flops. So yeah, not a fan.

On Tuesday, however, when I woke up to a wintry wonderland, I was uncharacteristically excited!  We have been listening to the Little House on the Prairie series in the car and one thing I have wanted to do since I was a little girl was make snow candy like at the Sugaring Off Dance in Little House in the Big Woods. 

I immediately searched Pinterest for a recipe and set out to make some. A little too much sugar for 7:30 in the morning? Perhaps. But the snow around here can't compete with the desert sun and is usually melted by noon so I wasn't taking any chances. Plus, the kids didn't seem to mind. (Shhh, don't tell anyone but we made Snow Cream too!  Both recipes below).

Snow Candy
1/4c maple syrup
1/8c sugar
Pinch of salt
Flat container of fresh snow

Heat mixed ingredients in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly and pour in a thin layer over the snow.  Let set and enjoy!


Snow Cream
2c Fresh snow
1/4c sugar
1/4c milk
1tsp vanilla

Mix all and enjoy!  Adjust amounts according to your desired taste and/or consistency.

Thanks for reading!

I'm Linking Up!



No comments:

Post a Comment